Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hannes Coetzee from Documentary film "Karoo Kitaar Blues", plays slide guitar with a teaspoon in his mouth

HANNES COETZEE

|
Hannes Coetzee’s is a soft-spoken 72-year old whose job is tapping the aloes that grow around his Karoo hometown of Herberstdale for their medicinal juice. Hannes composes his own songs and learnt to play the guitar on the side of the hill when the aloes were too dry to tap and to keep himself company on long lonely evenings in the mountains of the Kamiesbeg. The only known practitioner of the ‘optel and knyp’style he must rank as one of the most unusual slide guitarists in the world. If you shut your eyes you would think that there were two people accompanying each other on guitars.

Related post: Ghengis Blues

4 comments:

Bobby D. said...

You write about Hannes and I write about Hanae..are we on a wavelength or what? I needed some good music with my java this morning, so thank you.

J.C. said...

That is the coolest thing I have seen today.

J.C. said...

Although I just went to the movie, 300 again for the second time , and maybe that was cooler. I have traveled to the areas mentioned in Greece in the movie. Sparta or Laconia is so very beautiful. A river runs through it.
jesus christ man your symbol is intense. I like it. Would you mind if I captured it.?

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Absolutely awesome! I just loved the sound he gets from this method.

I may have to post this on one of my Friday Night Blues posts.

Thanks for sharing.